Dear Parents and Carers,
I am sure that many of you are concerned about the developments of Covid-19 (Coronavirus) and the impact that it may potentially have on your child’s education. I thought I should write to you today to give some updates and some guidance on the days and weeks ahead.
Due to high staff absence, we made the decision yesterday to ask Years 7 and 8 to remain at home from Tuesday 17th March through to Friday 20th March. It is important to stress that we do not have any confirmed cases of COVID-19 amongst the staff or students. However, following Government advice, some of the staff are self-isolating as a precautionary measure.
The school remains open to all other year groups including the Sixth Form.
I would also like to highlight the following points to you:
- Government guidelines suggest that if anyone in a household has a new persistent cough or a fever, that they along with their entire household should self-isolate for 14 days. Should this become the case for your child and family, please can you inform the school by calling reception and letting us know. This way we can ensure that your child’s absence is authorised. Where symptoms are mild, please instruct your child to email staff asking for work from their subject teachers.
- If your child is absent for any other reason, please follow school policy and inform reception.
- In the event of a whole school closure, we have a clear plan of action in place for distance learning to ensure your child’s education is not interrupted.
- As it stands, exams are still going ahead, along with coursework deadlines. This means it is really important for students in all year groups to attend but especially important for Year 11 and Year 13.
Thank you for your continued support.
Mr R Hinds
The Department for Education has launched a new helpline to answer questions about COVID-19 related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline as follows:
- Phone: 0800 046 8687
- Email: DfE.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)